Bush Fire Risk and You - Draft Bush Fire Risk Management Plan (BFRMP)
The Draft Bush Fire Risk Management Plan is now on public exhibition.
Bushfire Danger Period
The NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) advise the statutory Bush Fire Danger Period in the Mid North Coast area ended on 31 March.
From 1 April, fire permits will no longer be required for the Coffs Harbour and Bellingen Local Government Areas.
NSW RFS advise all members of the public must still abide by the law when conducting hazard reduction burns. Even though a fire permit is no longer a requirement, residents must still provide 24 hours notice to their neighbours, in addition to notifying the local fire authority before burning.
People should also check whether they need a Bush Fire Hazard Reduction Certificate for burning of native vegetation, and have sufficient equipment to control and contain the fire to their property.
For more information on hazard reduction burning, contact the Coffs Harbour Fire Control Centre on 6651 6133.
The NSW Rural Fire Service declares Total Fire Bans and current information can be obtained from its website at www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au
The aim of the Fire Permit is to ensure fire will be used safely. A Permit imposes conditions on the way a fire is lit and maintained, and can only be issued by authorised Permit Issuing Officers.
The Permit system informs the authorities exactly when and where landowners intend to burn, to ensure adequate and appropriate measures are in place, so that fires remain under control.
Bellingen Shire residents should contact the RFS Mid North Coast Office on 6651 6133 to organise a fire permit.
Rural Fire Stations for the Bellingen Shire are located at:
- Boggy Creek - 32 Mahers Lane, Boggy Creek
- Bostobrick - 9-11 Muldiva Rd, Bostobrick
- Brierfield - 900 Bowraville Rd, Brierfield
- Darkwood - 1684 Darkwood Rd, Thora
- Deervale - 1920 Deervale Rd, Deervale
- Fernmount - 25 Hyde St, Fernmount
- Gleniffer - Cnr Gleniffer and Timboon Rd, Gleniffer
- Hydes Creek - 371 Hydes Creek Rd, Hydes Creek
- Kalang - 1819 Kalang Rd, Bellingen
- Kalang (Pump Shed) - 1772 Kalang Rd, Bellingen
- Megan (Dorrigo) - Richards Rd, Megan
- Mylestom - Rowley St, Mylestom
- North Bellingen - Northbank Rd, Bellingen
- Repton - 35 Forest Dr, Repton
- Scotchman - 649 Kalang Rd, Bellingen
- Thora - 10 Darkwood Rd, Thora
- Urunga - 5 Orara St, Urunga
- Valery - 711 Valery Rd, Valery
Local Rural Fire Service or RFS Mid North Coast on 6651 6133 or Neighbourhood Safer Places that offer a higher level of protection from the bushfires.
NSW Rural Fire Service
The Rural Fire Service has a number of publications available to residents providing information on alternatives to burning, planning and preparation for a Hazard Reduction.