- Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, the Fires Near Me mobile app, or by calling the Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- For information on road conditions or closures, please call the NSW RMS on 131 700 or check www.livetraffic.com. Remember roads may be closed without warning.
- State Forests throughout the area remain closed to the public.
- For information of closures of National Parks associated with this fire, please visit www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au
- If you need to report a new fire or require urgent assistance, dial Triple Zero (000).
Bush Fire Danger Period (BFDP)
The Rural Fires Act 1997 provides for a statutory Bush Fire Danger Period (BFDP). During the BFDP, landowners and managers are required to obtain permits before lighting fires for land clearance or fire breaks. This declaration can be varied on either a temporary (seasonal) or permanent (reoccurring) basis and remains in force for the period specified unless revoked.
The BFDP fore the Bellingen Shire Council area will commence on 1 September 2020, ending 31 March 2021. More information can be found here
RFS has prepared a 'get ready for a bush fire'' pack outlining 4 simple steps to making your bush fire survival plan which are available at Council's Customer Service Centre or can be downloaded here
The Mid North Coast RFS puts out regular updates on their facebook page regarding current fire conditions.
To stay informed and updated regards current firefighting efforts and future containment activities, take advantage of the regular updates that will be provided at Council's Community Fire Updates Create page at: https://create.bellingen.nsw.gov.au/community-fire-updates and to ensure you and you’re family are prepared if threatened by a bushfire take five minutes to make or improve your plan by logging onto https://www.myfireplan.com.au/
The aim of the Fire Permit is to ensure fire will be used safely. A Permit imposes conditions on the way a fire is lit and maintained, and can only be issued by authorised Permit Issuing Officers.
The Permit system informs the authorities exactly when and where landowners intend to burn, to ensure adequate and appropriate measures are in place, so that fires remain under control.
Bellingen Shire residents should contact the RFS Mid North Coast Office on 6651 6133 to organise a fire permit.
Rural Fire Stations for the Bellingen Shire are located at:
- Boggy Creek - 32 Mahers Lane, Boggy Creek
- Bostobrick - 9-11 Muldiva Rd, Bostobrick
- Brierfield - 900 Bowraville Rd, Brierfield
- Darkwood - 1684 Darkwood Rd, Thora
- Deervale - 1920 Deervale Rd, Deervale
- Fernmount - 25 Hyde St, Fernmount
- Gleniffer - Cnr Gleniffer and Timboon Rd, Gleniffer
- Hydes Creek - 371 Hydes Creek Rd, Hydes Creek
- Kalang - 1819 Kalang Rd, Bellingen
- Kalang (Pump Shed) - 1772 Kalang Rd, Bellingen
- Megan (Dorrigo) - Richards Rd, Megan
- Mylestom - Rowley St, Mylestom
- North Bellingen - Northbank Rd, Bellingen
- Repton - 35 Forest Dr, Repton
- Scotchman - 649 Kalang Rd, Bellingen
- Thora - 10 Darkwood Rd, Thora
- Urunga - 5 Orara St, Urunga
- Valery - 711 Valery Rd, Valery
Local Rural Fire Service or RFS Mid North Coast on 6651 6133. Website: www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
NSW Rural Fire Service
The Rural Fire Service has a number of publications available to residents providing information on alternatives to burning, planning and preparation for a Hazard Reduction.