Environmental Levy Community Fund 2020/21
Council is currently calling for applications for the 2020/21 Environmental Levy Community Fund, a small grants program supporting local community based environmental and sustainability projects within the Bellingen Local Government Area.
Funding applications can be made by community groups to deliver projects up to a maximum value of up to $5,000 including GST, implemented on public land or land that is readily accessible to the public.
Applications are to be made using Good Grants, Council's new grant management system, found here - https://bellingen.grantplatform.com/
Applicants are required to read the Environmental Levy Community Fund grant guidelines, see below. The deadline for applications is midnight on Monday 18 January 2021.
For any questions regarding the Environmental Levy Community Fund 2020/21, please contact the Sustainable Environment and Waste Unit via email at email@example.com
Bellingen Shire Council applied to the minister for Local Government in May 2005 for a special variation to General Income for environmental projects. On 30 June 2005 Council received notice that an increase of 4% was approved. Information on the projects that have been undertaken with these funds can be found here.
As identified in the Shire of Bellingen 2030 Community Vision, the environment levy supports the implementation of projects to achieve the strategic directions, outcomes and aspirations for the future from our local community. The key focus areas are as follows;
- Invasive plant management
- Biodiversity management;
- Coastline, estuary and river management;
- Sustainable food production; &
- Climate change adaptation and mitigation
Environmental Levy Community Fund Grant Program
A portion of Environmental Levy income has been allocated to the delivery of Council’s Environmental Levy Community Fund grant program. Funding applications can be made by community groups to deliver projects up to a maximum value of up to $5,000 each, implemented on public land or land that is readily accessible to the public. The focus is on projects which:
- Concentrate their activities at the local level, across the shire;
- Maintain and/or protect existing environmental achievements and/or assets;
- Develop programs or projects which build community capacity;
- Contribute to behaviour change outcomes;
- Meet environmental sustainability priorities identified in BSCs Community Vision 2027; and
- Foster innovative and creative solutions which meet an identified environmental sustainability need.
Community groups who are successful in gaining funding under this program are encouraged apply for external grants where appropriate to match, and therefore maximise the funds.
Examples of Successful Past Projects:
- Bellingen Riverwatch – Our Rivers, Our Future (OzGreen)
- Community Nursery Project (Dandarrga Landcare)
- Rocky Creek Reserve Weed Management (Dorrigo Mountian Top Land Care Group)
- Sustainable Garden (Dorrigo Pre-school)
- Bush Regeneration of Alma Doepel Reserve (Mylestom Landcare)
- Bellingen Bush Tucker School Education Project (Bellingen Urban Landcare)
- Connell Creek Riparian Regeneration (Connell Creek Landcare)
- Edible Streetscapes and Signage (Centre for Ecological Learning)
- Hungry Heads Community, Environment and Arts Project (Urunga Landcare)
- Restoration and Rehabilitation (Bellingen Sustainability Centre)
Council Managed Projects
Environmental Levy Projects 2015/2016 (PDF) - Council Meeting Minutes 28/06/2017
Environmental Levy Projects 2014/2015 (PDF)
Environmental Levy Projects 2013/2014 (PDF)
Environmental Levy Projects 2012/2013 (PDF)
Environmental Levy Projects 2010/2011 (PDF)
Bellingen Shire Council