Biosecurity Act 2015
Invasive Plant Management now falls under the Biosecurity Act 2015 (replacing the repealed Noxious Weeds Act). The term ‘noxious’ and the class system is no longer used. Invasive Plant Management now operates on a priority scale, with state and regional priorities. The Biosecurity Act is tenue neutral, as the responsibilities apply equally to all land holders, whether public or private.
Any land managers and users of land have a General Biosecurity Duty - to ensure that biosecurity risks are prevent, eliminated or minimised so far as is reasonably practicable.
Priority Weeds in our Shire with Target for ERADICATION
- Tropical Soda Apple - TSA TV comercial
- Seeded Banana
- White Blackberry
- Kidney Leaf Mud Platain
- Scotch Broom
- Black Locust
- Japanese Walnut
Purchasing Property in Bellingen Shire
Due to the topographical and climatic features of the Shire the growth of vegetation is prolific and abundant. Unfortunately not all of this vegetation is desirable.
When purchasing a property make sure you are informed and aware of the presence of weeds and your responsibilities as a land owner under the Biosecurity Act 2015. Your beautiful paradise may well be a weed haven - requiring many years of hard work and resources to bring under control.
Ensure you have the capacity to uphold your General Biosecurity Duty to prevent, eliminate or minimise the spread of weeds. Contact your local Invasive Plants Officer for advice and to find out if there are any outstanding weed notices on your land.
If you are new to the Shire, we invite you to come into Council for FREE weed control Information.
- NSW Department of Primary Industries - Weeds
- Get your FREE Weed Wise app
- Weed Alerts (including Weeds of National Significance)
- No Space for Weeeeeeds
- Tropical Soda Apple - be on the lookout
- Cats Claw Creeper - be on the lookout
- Banana Passionfruit - a tantalisingly tasty fruit but terribly tenacious weed
- Fireweed - Attacking Fireweed Media Release
Pesticide Use Notification Plan
- Pesticide Use Notifcation Plan (PDF) (186.55 KB)
- April/May 2019 Weed & Vegetation Management Program
Invasive Plants Officer