The Bellingen Shire Australia Day Committee hosted the 2018 Australia Day Community Awards and celebrations at the Morgo Street Reserve on Friday 26 January.
In front of an enthusiastic crowd, Mayor Cr Dominic King along with Australia Day Ambassador, chef, businessman and author David Bitton congratulated all nominees for their contribution to our community.
The winners in each category for 2018 were:
- Citizen of the Year: Ann Phelan
- Young Citizen: Katelyn Beaumont
- Community Service: Debbie Rose
- Community Group: The Community Transport Company
- Community Event: Dorrigo & Guy Fawkes Agricultural Show (Dorrigo Show Society)
- Sportsperson: Kathleen McPhail
- Junior Sportsperson: Katie Thorn
The Mayor also conducted our first formal Citizenship Ceremony for 2018 with four local residents becoming the Shire’s latest Australian Citizens.
Along with the Mayor, Council’s General Manager Liz Jeremy acknowledged the many individuals who volunteer their time, energy and passion, often without recognition for the betterment of our community.
So if during the year you think somebody deserves recognition for an outstanding achievement, be sure to nominate them for one of next year’s awards.
Further Information: https://create.bellingen.nsw.gov.au/2018-australia-day-awards