Library Lovers Day - February 14th
Library Lovers’ Day on February 14th is a chance for everyone to reconnect with the library and share the library love. Your nearest Bellingen Branch Library will be spreading the love to members with a competition and an opportunity to write a love letter to the library.
Bellingen, Dorrigo and Urunga Libraries will be running a competition during the week to guess the Most Loved Book – the title most borrowed over the past 12 months with a box of chocolates on offer at each library for the reader who gets it right.
You can even write a love letter to your library this Valentine’s Day! Some of Australia’s best known authors will be penning a letter to share their love of libraries.
The initiative, coordinated by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), aims to raise the profile of the services that libraries offer. Australia’s public libraries provide quality information services that support lifelong learning, significantly impacting the cultural and information industry.
Junior Book Club & Summer Reading Club
Junior members of the library who participated in the Summer Reading Challenge and returned their reading record will be contacted to receive their certificates on the 14th February at 4pm, at Bellingen Library. Top three readers will become our Junior library ambassadors for 2018.
All children between the age of 9-12 are invited to attend this event and have their say about the dates, times and frequency for the proposed ‘Junior Book Club’ sessions in 2018. This will be the first time Bellingen library will be running the Junior Book Club.
Here are a few facts about libraries in Australia:
- There is one public library service point for every 15,000 people and more than seven out of ten public libraries are open for more than 30 hours per week.
- More than 171 million items were lent to 8.6 million members of Australia’s public libraries and there were more than 112 million annual customer visits which equates to over 9 million visits per month.
In comparison, the facts for Bellingen Shire are:
- There are three public libraries for approx. 13,000 people.
- Last financial year, over 76,000 items were lent to over 7,300 library members.
- There were more than 116,000 visits to the library and over 150,000 visits to library website.
- Nearly 19,000 internet sessions were used within the library and approximately 26,000 WiFi sessions were logged.
- Over 2200 people participated in over 200 library events and programs.
Bellingen Shire Mayor, Cr Dominic King said “The library has evolved into a social space to collaborate, research, learn, share and relax. Community groups meet, workshops are delivered, new skills are learnt, games can be played and technology can be used to create. We are very fortunately to have a branch library in each of our three main towns.”
For further information on library services contact Council’s Shire Librarian Surinder Kaur on 6655 1744.