Food safety information


Read our COVID-19 information for food businesses

Food safety requirements

All cafes, restaurants and retail food outlets must comply with the Food Standards Code, including Standard 3.2.2: Food Safety Practices and General Requirements and Standard 3.2.3: Food Premises and Equipment.

For guidance on fitting out new premises or refurbishing existing premises, refer to Australian Standard AS 4674:2004: Design, construction and fit-out of food premises. Please note alterations to the internal fit-out of food premises require development consent from Council.

Our role in food safety

Council’s Environmental Health Officers are Authorised Officers under the Food Act 2003 and may inspect any business that handles or sells food, including mobile food vans and food businesses at temporary events.

Council’s Environmental Health Officers also:

  • make sure business owners and their staff comply with legislative requirements 
  • provide advice to new and existing food businesses
  • investigate customer complaints about local food premises and food-borne illness

To speak to an Environmental Health Officer, contact Council on 02 6655 7300


Inspections are carried out without prior notice and may be conducted at any reasonable time, which is usually during business trading hours.

The inspections focus on a wide range of issues, including:

  • cleanliness
  • temperature control
  • hygiene and food handling practices
  • pest control
  • waste storage

Where premises are found not to be at an acceptable standard, re-inspections may be required until standards improve to an acceptable level. Food businesses are invoiced for all re-inspections. Re-inspection fees are listed in Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges(PDF, 16MB)

Scores on Doors

Scores on Doors is the NSW food hygiene scoring program that reassures your customers about your hygiene and food safety standards. The scores rate your food business’s compliance with hygiene and food safety requirements based on routine Council inspections. There are no extra inspections or costs.

If your business is eligible, you will be offered a certificate and sticker to display in a prominent position, such as your front window.

Food safety supervisors

The Food Act 2003 requires most food businesses to have at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor. This requirement applies to retail businesses who process and sell food that is ready-to-eat, is potentially hazardous (for example, requiring temperature control) and is not sold or served in the supplier’s original packaging.

To become a Food Safety Supervisor, you must complete training in the national vocational education and training system. More information is available from the NSW Food Authority

Food businesses at temporary events

If you intend to sell food from a temporary structure or vehicle at a fair, festival, market or show, you must check the requirements with Council well before the event. You may be required to obtain a permit to trade on public land, undergo an inspection or pay a fee.

The NSW Food Authority publishes Guidelines for Food Businesses at Temporary Events, which includes requirements relating to food safety, power supply and waste disposal.

Mobile food vans

If you are a mobile vendor selling food to the public, you are considered a retail food business and must notify Council of your operations. This includes vehicles used for:

  • on-site preparation of food such as hamburgers, hot dogs and kebabs
  • one-step food preparation – for example, popcorn, fairy floss, coffee or juice
  • any type of food, including pre-packaged food

The NSW Food Authority Guidelines for Mobile Food Vending Vehicles provide useful information on how to meet legal requirements.

If you wish to trade in a public roadway (sometimes referred to as hawking), you will need to apply to Council for an approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993

Charities and Not for Profit Groups

<div even"="" property="content:encoded">

A charitable or not for profit organisation that sells food for fundraising purposes is a 'food business' under the Food Act 2003 (NSW). The food safety requirements in the Food Standards Code apply to their food activities, including the preparation and transport of food for sales.  Charitable and not for profit organisations include:

<div even"="" property="content:encoded">
  • Registered charities, hospitals, disability support groups, welfare groups;
  • Local clubs eg Lions, Rotary, Apex, Country Women's Association;
  • Youth organisations eg YMCA, Scouts;
  • Community schools, preschools and not for profit childcare centres.

Charitable and not for profit groups are exempt from the requirement to appoint Food Safety Supervisors.

Charitable and not for profit groups are also exempt from the requirement to notify Council if the food they sell is not potentially hazardous (i.e. does not require temperature control) or is to be consumed immediately after cooking e.g. a sausage sizzle.  However if you will be storing food hot or cold, making soups, curries or trays of sandwiches etc, then you should contact Council's Environmental Programs Officer who can provide you with further advice regarding notification and inspection requirements. 

The NSW Food Authority Food Safety Requirements for Charitable, Not for Profit Organisations Factsheet provides more information.