Alterations and Additions

Alterations and additions refers to the process of renovating and making changes to a property or structure.

Examples of common Alteration and Additions:
  • Changing the floor plan of a dwelling house
  • Adding additional rooms to a dwelling house
  • Changing the roofline of a dwelling house
  • Making changes to the fit out of a commercial space

Change of Use

If you are planning to change the use of a space during your renovations, e.g., converting a garage into a bedroom, or changing a café into a gym, this is considered to be a Change of Use

What approval pathway can I use to apply?

Some change of use and minor building works (that are non-structural) to your house, shop, or business, may be undertaken as exempt development and without the need to prepare a development application for lodgement with Council.

However, if your site is located within a Heritage Conservation Area or is a State Heritage Item, then the exempt development pathways is not available and you will need to obtain development consent, and lodge either a Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC).

Provided the proposed change of use and / or building works are minor and non-structural, and the proposed works meet all relevant development standards (identified in the Codes SEPP), then certain renovations and low impact works and change of use do not require lodgement and approval of a Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC), and may be undertaken as exempt development.

Please note this advice is not meant to be all-inclusive and does not contain all the information necessary to determine whether a specific development proposal qualifies for exempt or complying development.

For a more precise understanding, you will need to refer to the relevant planning controls or seek professional advice.

The exempt development requirements can be accessed at the links below:

If you are in doubt that the works comply with the Codes SEPP, then you should apply for a DA or CDC.

Apply for a DA    Apply for a CDC