National Water Week
It's National Water Week! Each year in October the Australian Water Association hosts National Water Week to raise awareness about the value of water. This year's theme is "Our Water Stories". Read more about this year's theme here.
Water Week Activities
As part of National Water Week, Council organises a range of local activities for the community to get involved.
Water Supply Tours
Water Supply Tours
Council runs periodic tours of our local water supply and treatment plants, to give the community an insight into how it all works.
Register your interest here
- Dorrigo Water Supply and Sewage Treatment Plant
- Bellingen Water Supply and Sewage Treatment Plant
- Urunga Sewage Treatment Plant
Splash Fiction Competition
Each year Council organises a community competition to encourage residents to get involved and win some great prizes.
This year, we are launching Splash Fiction – our take on ‘flash fiction’ where your goal is to write a story in under 300 words. It might be a story that relates to your own experiences with water, or something more abstract. It can be fictional, fantastical or even dystopian, but it should explore the following theme: where water goes.
All eligible stories will be judged by the Bellingen Readers and Writers Festival. There are two categories this year, Youth and Adult, with prizes for first place. Entries close 21st November 2022.
Adult Category (Ages 18+) - First place: $100 Shop Local Card
Youth Category (Ages 11 - 17) - First place : $75 Shop Local Card
How to Enter
Please read the terms and conditions, then click on the button below.
Terms & Conditions:
- Entry is only open to residents of the Bellingen Local Government Area.
- You must be aged 11 to 17 years to enter the Youth Category.
- You must be aged 18 years or over to enter the Adult Category.
- Your story submission must be your own original work.
- Staff who work for Bellingen Shire Council are excluded from entry. (Sorry!)
- Entries close at 8pm on Monday 21st November.
- All eligible entries will be judged ‘blind’ by committee members of the Bellingen Readers and Writers Festival; this means judges will not see the name of any author who submits an entry until after the winner is announced.
- By submitting your story, you agree that the decision of the judges is final.
- Eligible entries may be published on the Bellingen Shire Council website, or used in promotional material, unless the author requests otherwise.
- Prizes are not transferable or redeemable for cash.
- Prizes must be taken as offered and failure to accept the offered prize will result in forfeiture of that prize. The forfeited prize will be offered to the next highest-ranked entry.
- Bellingen Shire Council will protect information provided in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2000. Information contained in your entry form may be stored and used by Bellingen Shire Council for the purpose of the competition, i.e. for contacting you about your entry.
- Entries will not be accepted without valid contact information.
- This information may be disclosed to relevant government agencies or other stakeholders if required by law with the Information Privacy Act 2000 only.
- While recognising that art is a platform for free expression, the Splash Fiction Competition 2022 will not accept content that promotes or condones violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, nationality, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity, or whose primary purpose is inciting hatred on the basis of these characteristics.
Submit your entry!
Download the National Water Week colouring-in sheet here.
Download the water trivia quiz here.
Connect with a National Water Week Ambassador
You can also register your school and connect with a National Water Week Ambassador. Ambassadors help to promote a wide range of career opportunities to work with water and share their expertise. Check out this link to the National Water Week webpage for more details: How to Register Your School