Bellingen Shire Council, with the assistance of the Heritage Branch of the Department of
Community Fire Updates
Information on fire activity in the Bellingen Local Government Area Issued on 9 December 2019 at 7pm
The Andersons Creek Fire is burning approximately 20 kilometres west of Bellingen, and is more than 10 000 ha in size. The fire is active in the Darkwood, Horseshoe Rd and Langton’s Rd areas. The fire crossed Blackwoods Road overnight, and continues to spread on all sides. Crews from National Parks & Wildlife Service with the assistance of heavy plant are working on preparing Orama Rd as a containment line. Roses Creek Rd is being prepared by Forestry Corporation of NSW in an attempt to hold the fire west of Kalang. NSW Rural Fire Service crews are working on property protection in Darkwood, with additional crews patrolling in the Deervale area.
Very High fire danger is predicted for tomorrow with warmer temperatures and lower humidity. This could see the fire behaviour increase, and smoke/embers impact on local communities. Communities east of the fire including Darkwood, Thora, Kalang and Bellingen should be preparing for the threat of fire now. Containment options are difficult under current dry conditions, and the fire cannot be extinguished without substantial rain.
- Monitor conditions. Check and follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan. If you do not have a
- plan, decide what you will do if the situation changes. Leaving early is the safest option.
- Residents are strongly advised that unauthorised lighting of fires is prohibited. It can
- compromise the safety of ground crews working in the area, and put further assets at risk.
- The use of heavy plant will be used in support of the firefighting operation.
- Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, the Fires Near Me mobile app, or by calling the Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- For information on road conditions or closures, please call the NSW RMS on 131 700 or check www.livetraffic.com. Remember roads may be closed without warning.
- State Forests throughout the area remain closed to the public.
- For information of closures of National Parks associated with this fire, please visit www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au
- If you need to report a new fire or require urgent assistance, dial Triple Zero (000).
Rural Fire Brigade Firefighters and State Emergency Services personnel continue to battle bush fires burning in and around our Shire. Council's role as a support agency to their efforts means we will continue to provide resources as required to ensure our community remains informed, alert and aware of the need to have a fire plan.
RFS has prepared a 'get ready for a bush fire'' pack outlining 4 simple steps to making your bush fire survival plan which are available at Council's Customer Service Centre or can be downloaded here
To stay informed and updated regards current firefighting efforts and future containment activities, take advantage of the regular updates that will be provided at Council's Community Fire Updates Create page at: https://create.bellingen.nsw.gov.au/community-fire-updates and to ensure you and you’re family are prepared if threatened by a bushfire take five minutes to make or improve your plan by logging onto https://www.myfireplan.com.au/
Create Community Engagement Hub: Includes Council Projects & Documents On Exhibition